Are you still rocking the Hawaiian shirt and baggy jean shorts that your mum bought you for Christmas in 2005? Is your boyfriend or husband convinced that the socks-and-sandals look is set for a comeback this summer?
Never fear, we’re here to help with a guide to 10 affordable and versatile wardrobe staples that can transform any man’s outfit from a horror story to a holiday miracle. What’s more, if you use a Virgin Australia Velocity Card (hit the Rewards Cards check box on the next page to view the credit cards taht are able to earn Velocity Frequent Flyer Points) to pay for your purchases, you could earn Velocity Points to put towards your next holiday.
- Solid colour t-shirts – Simple, single colour, plain t-shirts are comfortable and can be used in a variety of different outfits. Make sure they fit well and build a nice collection of black, white and blue t-shirts before trying more adventurous colours.
- Tidy solid colour jeans – A clean pair of jeans is another wardrobe staple that can be worn in a variety of different environments. Make sure they are a nice black or dark blue colour (no acid wash here!) and keep them neat and tidy. Again, fit is an important consideration.
- A grown-up watch – Sorry guys, if you’re still rocking that Mickey Mouse wristwatch you got in your cereal box 10 years ago, it’s time to invest in an upgrade. A nice classy watch will enhance any formal outfit and can also be extremely practical whether you are in the boardroom or out for dinner with friends.
- Black or brown dress shoes – Most men already have a pair of black dress shoes in their wardrobe. However, it’s the style and condition of those shoes that often lets them down. Avoid square toed shoes, and make sure you give them a decent polish at least once a week.
- Solid-colour chino shorts – Shorts are an issue of contention for most guys. In the fashion world, solid-coloured chino shorts are a popular option, with no cargo pockets. Denim shorts can be controversial, however, they are acceptable when kept to just above knee length.
- A black or brown belt – A belt is one of the most crucial parts of any man’s wardrobe – for obvious reasons! The important thing to remember here is that your belt should always match the colour of your dress shoes when your shirt is tucked in. You should be able to pick up a nice belt for around $50.
- Sneakers – For less formal occasions, a good pair of sneakers will serve you well whether you are wearing shorts or longer pants or jeans. Converse and Vans are timeless brands that work both at the beach and in the club, just make sure they are clean and not too bulky.
- V-Neck Pullover – For evenings or more chilly days, a V-neck pullover is a tidy and comfortable way to stay warm. Merino and cashmere are good options, however cotton will also do the job as long as the fit is snug and the sweater is in good condition.
- White button up shirts – For formal occasions or the office, a single colour white button up is the most versatile and timeless option available. You should always wear a singlet under button up shirts to help preserve their lifespan, and make sure you follow the laundering instructions closely.
- A suit – Every man should have at least one suit in their wardrobe. Navy blue is the safest, most versatile colour, while browns, blacks and other more eye-catching suits should be additions to your wardrobe rather than starting points. If you can’t stretch to a tailored suit, you could still have a tailor alter your off-the-peg suit, just to make sure it fits well.
This is just a short introduction to 10 essential elements of any well-dressed man’s wardrobe. What else do you think should be on the list?