A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Lombok, Indonesia on 5 August 2018. Hundreds of people are injured and at least 82 people have been killed. Aftershocks are still occurring and may be felt in neighbouring Bali. Airports continue to operate and are working to clear the backlog of travellers whose flights have been affected.
If you are currently travelling
As a provider of assistance services, it is always AGA’s priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- Please consider your safety first and follow advice from local authorities
- If you have been affected as a result of events in Lombok, Indonesia and require medical assistance, please contact the AGA Emergency Assistance team on 001 803 61 098 or speak to your local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499
- If your travel arrangements have been affected by this event, we firstly recommend contacting your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty-free options to amend travel arrangements
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements have been affected and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Please ensure you keep all receipts and proof of purchases to submit with your claim
- Please refer to your Policy Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complementary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply
- If you have any queries about your policy benefits please contact our Customer Care Team on 1800 134 419
- Keep up to date on advice from travel providers by visiting their websites directly
- Please make yourself aware of the advice issued by DFAT via its website Smart Traveller website. Always monitor the media and other sources about possible new security risks
If you have not yet departed
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled as a result of the earthquake in Lombok, Indonesia and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey (whichever is the lesser). Please refer to your Policy Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complementary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- We recommend you contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and we recommend you contact them for further details. Contact our Customer Care Team on 1800 134 419 if you would like to clarify your policy entitlements.
If you entered into a policy after 8am (AEST) 8 August 2018
If you entered into a policy after 8am (AEST) 8 August 2018 we would expect that this was done with an awareness of earthquake in Lombok, Indonesia and that it could affect travel. For these policies, where that is so, claims that arise due to the earthquake in Lombok, Indonesia (for example, flight delays or cancellations) may not be covered or have reduced cover.
Policy coverage and benefits vary based on individual circumstances. We encourage travellers to read their travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complementary insurance booklet to understand what they are covered for and any limits and exclusions that apply.
AGA will assess all claims in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Certificate of Insurance. For complementary travel insurance, we will assess all claims in accordance with the information booklet associated with your credit card.
Making a Claim
Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses you incur. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
Where possible, ensure any replacement accommodation and additional expenses are of a similar standard to that which you had planned and pre-paid.
Please note that any compensation and/or refunds you receive from a third party (e.g. airline) for transport, food or accommodation will be deducted if your claim is accepted.