Mt Etna in Italy recently erupted following a magnitude 4.8 earthquake. While some flights are experiencing delays the airport continues to operate as normal. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as required.
If you are currently travelling:
As a provider of assistance services, it is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- Please consider your safety first and follow advice from local authorities.
- If you have been affected as a result of events in Italy and require medical assistance, please contact our Emergency Assistance team on 001 803 61 098 or speak to your local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499.
- If your travel arrangements have been affected by this event, we firstly recommend contacting your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements.
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements have been affected and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Please ensure you keep all receipts and proof of purchases to submit with your claim.
- Please refer to your Policy Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complementary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- If you have any queries about your policy benefits please contact our Customer Care Team on 1800 134 419.
- Keep up to date on advice from travel providers by visiting their websites directly.
- Please make yourself aware of the advice issued by DFAT via its website smartraveller.gov.au. Always monitor the media and other sources about possible new security risks.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled as a result of the a result of the eruption of Mt Etna and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey (whichever is the lesser). Please refer to your Policy Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complementary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- We recommend you contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and we recommend you contact them for further details. Contact our Customer Care Team on 1800 134 419 if you would like to clarify your policy entitlements.
If you entered into a policy after 7:00am (AEST) 27 December 2018:
If you entered into a policy after 7:00am (AEST) 27 December 2018 we would expect that this was done with an awareness of the increased activity of Mt Etna and the possibility of issues arising due to this could affect travel. For these policies, claims that arise due to volcanic activity associated with Mt Etna (for example, flight delays or cancellations) will be assessed in accordance with your policy wording, but exclusions or limits on cover may apply depending upon the circumstances.
Policy coverage and benefits vary based on individual circumstances. We encourage travellers to read their travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complementary insurance booklet to understand what they are covered for and any limits and exclusions that apply.
We will assess all claims in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Certificate of Insurance. For complementary travel insurance, we will assess all claims in accordance to the current information booklet for your credit card.
Making a Claim
Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses you incur. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
Where possible, ensure any replacement accommodation and additional expenses are of a similar standard to that which you had planned and pre-paid.
Please note that any compensation and/or refunds you receive from a third party (e.g. airline) for transport, food or accommodation will be deducted if your claim is accepted.