FAQs - Home and Contents Insurance

Taking out a policy
  • Q. How can I purchase a Home and/or Contents Insurance policy?

    A. You can get a quote and then buy securely online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can pay with either a Visa or MasterCard or pay online via Direct Debit from your Bank, Credit Union or Building Society account.

    Give our team a call on 1800 887 707 to get a quote and purchase over the phone. Your quote will automatically include any applicable customer discounts. Our team is available Mon to Fri 8am to 5pm, Sat 8am to 2pm (AEST).

  • Q. Why buy online?

    A. You'll get a great 15%1 discount on your first year's premium when you purchase either a Home or Contents insurance policy online. If you combine Home and Contents insurance policies, you can save 30%1.

    There are many other benefits when purchasing Home and Contents insurance online:

    1. Do it when it suits you 24/7
    2. No forms or pen needed... ever
    3. It can be up to 40% faster than doing it over the phone
  • Q. Is it safe to purchase Home and Contents Insurance online?

    Your safety is of utmost importance to us. Our VeriSign certificate confirms that our online quote and payment system enables sensitive data to be safely encrypted. Please also make sure that the computer you’re using is protected with the latest internet security system.

  • Q. I am having trouble purchasing securely online, what should I do?

    A. Please call 1800 776 598 with your Quote Reference Number and we’ll give you a hand. We’re here to help Mon to Fri 8am to 5pm, Sat 8am to 2pm (AEST).

  • Q. Can I pay my insurance in monthly instalments?

    A. Yes you can. If you choose to pay by the month, please make sure payments happen on time (or your policy may be cancelled without notice).

  • Q. How is my home and contents insurance premium calculated?

    A. Home and Contents Insurance premiums are calculated based on the level of 'risk' the insurance underwriters (Auto & General) associate with you and your home and/or contents. So simple factors that differentiate you and someone else contribute to the perception of 'risk'.

    Risk is affected by the location of the home, what materials the home is constructed from, the security devices installed at the home, and how the home is occupied. For example, not all insurers treat each suburb the same. The frequency of claims is also considered carefully.

    Auto & General’s underwriting allows us to offer competitive rates.

Managing your policy
About our cover
  • Q. What are the best ways I can save money on my Home and Contents Insurance?

    A. Virgin Money believes that if your Home and Contents Insurance company has all the right information and is evaluating your risk level effectively you shouldn’t have to pay sky high prices. We give you a number of options that allow you to tailor your policy, choose whether you want to include these optional covers:

    • Flood Cover
    • Motor Burnout
    • Accidental Damage
    • Personal effects cover (only available with Contents insurance)
    • Sum Insured Safeguard (only available with Home insurance)
    • Commercial Storage (only available with Contents insurance)

    You can also choose the excess amount you pay if you need to make a claim, this will adjust the amount of premium charged for your Home and Contents Insurance.

    We also offer discounts when you purchase online. 

    Give our team a call on 1800 887 707 and they'll be happy to help.

  • Q. What happens to my discount in the 2nd year?

    A. The online discount applies to Virgin Home and Contents Insurance Price Saver cover only in Year 1.

  • Q. What benefits does Virgin Home and Contents Insurance offer?

    A. Benefits, which could be important to you include:

    • Choice of optional covers
    • Flexible excess option - alter your premium by adjusting your excess
    • Monthly payment option
    • 21 day money back guarantee if you cancel your policy and have not made a claim
  • Q. Who is the underwriter for Virgin Money’s Home and Contents Insurance?

    A. Our Home and Contents Insurance policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited. Auto & General Insurance Company Limited is an Australian Insurer authorised to conduct insurance business in Australia by the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority (APRA). Auto & General Insurance Company Limited is a member of the Insurance Council of Australia and participates in the Insurance Code of Practice.

  • Q. Do you have Flood Cover?

    A. Yes, we offer Flood Cover for an additional premium. Flood cover may not be available for some addresses.

    You'll find details about the events we insure in our Product Disclosure Statement.

  • Q. What is the Motor Burnout option?

    A. For an additional premium, the Motor Burnout option provides cover for loss or damage to electric motors during the period of insurance provided:

    • The burnout is caused by electric current and/or power surge, and
    • The motor is burnt out at the home.

    See the Product Disclosure Statement for further details.

  • Q. What is the Accidental Damage option?

    A. For an additional premium, the Accidental Damage option provides cover for:

    • Accidental loss or damage to your home caused by an accident which occurs at the insured address.
    • Accidental loss or damage to your contents caused by an accident which occurs in the home at the insured address.

    See the Product Disclosure Statement for further details.

  • Q. What is Commercial Storage?

    A. We will cover loss or damage caused by an insured event to your contents stored in a commercial storage facility during your period of insurance. This only includes contents covered under your Contents Insurance cover.

  • Q. What is the Sum Insured Safeguard option?

    A. (only available when you have Home Insurance cover)

    For an additional premium, the Sum Insured Safeguard option will extend your home sum insured up to an additional 25% if your nominated sum insured is not sufficient to replace or repair the damage to your home.

    See the Product Disclosure Statement for further details.

  • Q. Who is Auto & General Services Pty Ltd (AGS) and why do they appear in my Virgin Money Documents?

    A. Virgin Money has teamed up with AGS to offer you Home and Contents insurance with a range of flexible options and very competitive rates. AGS administers your policy on behalf of your insurer and is a related company of theirs. AGS holds an Australian Financial Services License and participates in the General Insurance Code of Practice.

  • Q. What is the Personal Effects Cover option?

    A. (Only available when you have Contents cover)
    For an additional premium, the Personal Effects Cover option provides cover for accidental loss or damage during the period of insurance:

    • Anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
    • Anywhere in the world - for up to 90 days of your departure from Australia

    Personal Effects are those personal items that belong to you that you might ordinarily take with you outside your home. See the Product Disclosure Statement for further details.

  • Q. Do you subscribe to an industry code?

    A. Our insurance is underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited (Auto & General) who is a member of the Insurance Council of Australia and a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice (the Code). By signing up to the Code, they promise to act in an open, honest and fair manner in all their dealings with customers.

    Auto & General and Virgin Money are committed to helping our customers better understand their rights when buying insurance, making claims, resolving a complaint, or experiencing financial hardship.

    General insurers’ compliance with the code is monitored and enforced by an independent body called the Code Governance Committee (CGC). Customers can report suspected breaches to the CGC, which then investigates and, if necessary, agrees with the insurer on corrective measures within set timeframes.

    Any failure to correct a breach can lead to CGC sanctions, which are binding on insurers.

    A copy of the code can be accessed by visiting http://codeofpractice.com.au/

  • Q. What is your Duty not to make a misrepresentation? 

    What you need to tell us
    We will ask you questions:

    • when you apply for insurance
    • before we agree to renew, extend, vary or reinstate your policy.

    Your answers will help us decide whether to insure you, and on what terms. Each question we ask you is important. Please answer each one fully, accurately and honestly.

  • Q. Your duty to us

    You have a legal duty under the Insurance Contracts Act to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation to us. This duty first arises when you enter into an insurance contract with us.

    Before we agree to renew, extend, vary or reinstate your policy, we may remind you of your previous answers to our questions. Your duty extends to telling us whether any of this information has changed.

  • Q. Failing in your duty can seriously affect your cover

    If you fail in your duty, we may do either or both of these:

    • cancel your policy
    • reduce the amount we pay you if you make a claim.

    If your failure is fraudulent, we may refuse to pay a claim and treat the policy as if it never existed.

  • Q. What if I have to make a Home and Contents Insurance claim?

    A. You can make a claim online or call 1800 662 884 to make a Home or Contents Insurance claim. Our friendly claims team will do their best to ensure your claims experience is as hassle-free as can be to avoid any inconvenience to you and your family.

    You can also fill in our Online Claim Notification Form (available 24/7) and we’ll call you back to confirm details and finalise your claim lodgement.

    We may need to arrange for an assessor to visit you to inspect the damage and help you organise repairs or replacement of damaged items. 

    In case of an emergency, please call our customer service staff on 1800 069 336 for immediate support and advice.

    Make a claim

  • Q. What happens if I don't disclose information about my past claims when I am asked?

    A. This is called non-disclosure and affects an insurer's ability to accurately assess your risk or calculate the correct premium. It can lead to a claim being paid only in part; or not paid at all and/or your policy being cancelled.

  • Q. What is an excess?

    A. An excess is the amount you pay towards each claim you make on your home and/or contents insurance policy. The amount and type of excess that applies is shown on your insurance certificate.

  • Q. How do I pay the excess?

    A. Before the repair works begins or your items are replaced, we’ll ask you to pay the excess to us, or we may deduct it from the amount we pay you if we settle your claim.

  • Q. If I make a claim for loss or damage to my home building and contents, will I have to pay two excesses?

    A. No – you’ll be required to pay only the higher of the two Basic excesses you have selected.

  • Q. Can I change my excess?

    A. Yes – you can change your Basic Excess at any time; it can be any amount from $100 to $5,000.

    If you increase your excess, it can lower your premium (and vice-versa).

    To change your excess, call us on 1800 069 336 or log into your online account and edit your policy.


  • Q. How can my Insurer assist me if I am experiencing vulnerability?

    A. Our insurance partner, Auto & General may be able to assist you.

    • If you are experiencing domestic or family violence and wish to seek assistance with respect to your policy from the Insurer, please click here for the Insurer’s Family Violence Policy. 
    • If you wish to speak to a consultant about your situation, please call 1800 724 678.  Please note our consultants may be able to make any changes required to your policy information and provide you with useful information which may assist you with your situation. 
    • Your Insurer may also provide you access to several professional organisations who offer support beyond insurance. Please click here for more information.
  • Q. Do you offer support for paying a home insurance excess?

    A. When lodging a claim, we encourage you to tell us if you need support in paying your excess. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for Financial Hardship support.  An overview of the steps to apply for financial hardship support provided by our insurance partner (Auto & General) are outlined here.